The Board's Purpose
The Saanich Police Board, comprise of volunteers, is the governing body of the Saanich police Department and, on behalf of the citizens of Saanich, provides independent civilian oversight and governance of the Saanich Police Department, including law enforcement and crime prevention.
The Chief Constable is responsible for daily policing and other operational matter. The Police Act stipulates that the Board shall not direct the Chief of Police with respect to the day to day operations of the police service.
Arms-length Relationship from Council
Municipal Police Boards are created independently from municipal councils and from the provincial government. This removes police boards from partisan politics and, at the same time, recognizes that both the municipality and the province have legitimate interests in municipal policing.
Composition and Term of the Police Board
Under the Police Act, a municipal police board consists of the Mayor, who is statutorily designated as Chair; one person appointed by the municipal council; and not more than five persons appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor-in Council. Saanich has customarily had three Provincial appointees. A board member's term cannot exceed six consecutive years.
Saanich Police Board Members
Mayor RIchard Atwell - Chair
Ms. Mary Collins
Mr. Glen Crawford
Mr. Bruce Hallsor
Mr. Irwin Henderson
Mr. Tim Kane
Ms. Lori Staples, QC
Responsibilities of the Police Board
The Saanich Police Board is a statutory body created under Part 5 of the Police Act and has governance and oversight responsibilities under that Act, such as:
- Establishes a municipal police department and appoints the Chief Constable and other constables and employees, all of whom are employees of the Board.
- Evaluates the performance of the Chief Constable.
- Has authority to study, investigate and prepare reports on matters concerning policing, law enforcement and crime prevention in the municipality.
- Directs, in consultation with the Chief Constable, the preparation of a Strategic Plan that sets the priorities, goals and objectives of the Department; and reviews the annual work plan in terms of meeting the priorities, goals and objectives of the Strategic Plan.
- Oversees the preparation and implementation of the Department’s annual budget and determines the level of necessary resourcing for the Department’s operations, prior to submitting the budget to the municipal council.
- Has authority under section 171 of the Police Act to investigate complaints made about the Department.
Sherri Andrews, Administrative Assistant to the Mayor & CAO
Saanich Police Board
250-475-1775 ext 5510